Despite the fine weather of late in Melbourne, the one day that the Commoner crew organized a picnic turned to absolute grey poo and alas it didn’t happen – next time, we’ll just have one on my floor I think!
Soaking dill for roast chicken, dill and aioli baguettes
Newly acquired (Cowes op shop) ‘picnic for two’ wicker basket with leather straps
My best cake:
Mandarin, almond and polenta cake
2 cups of almond meal
250g softened unsalted butter
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup caster sugar
1 cup polenta
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
icing sugar to dust
– Cover the mandarins with cold water in a saucepan – bring to the boil, drain and cool – repeat process 4 times.
– Preheat oven at 170 degrees. Grease and line cake tin – 22cm deep round preferably.
– Once cooled, chop mandarins and collect juice whilst discarding skin, pulp and pips.
– Beat butter extract and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, add eggs, one at a time until just combined.
– Stir in polenta, baking powder, almond meal and mandarin.
– Smell – best smelling cake batter ever.
– Spread mixture in lined pan and bake for around 1 hour, checking with a skewer until cooked.
– Dust with icing once cooled!